Andhra Pradesh may emerge as a major educational hub if proposals made by major private universities are any indication. Leading institutions like SRM University , Vellore Institute of Technology , Amity University , XLRI, Confederation of Indian Industry , Centurion University , Amrita, Saveetha University , Teri energy university and YVR Infra and Fisheries Academy have approached the state government to set up their campuses in AP . This follows the adoption of the private universities Act by the AP government a few months ago.
The Act while giving sufficient freedom to private managements to be innovative in the design of curriculum, examination module and administration, lays down strict regulatory conditions to continue their operations. It however, gives full autonomy to private universities to start academic programmes. They can follow their own admission process and fix tuition fee. The new Act also provides for setting up of more than one campus, encourages using modern pedagogic concepts, and permits distance education pro grams. Interestingly it has provided the option for private universities to apply for financial grants from the central and the state governments for research projects or any other prescribed academic projects.
“The private universities Act has been successful in attracting new investments in the education sector in Andhra Pradesh. We have received 27 proposals to set up private uni versities, campuses or institutes of excellence in the state,“ HRD minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao said.
- The XLRI will come up at Kondapalli near Vijayawada. It will admit 1000 students in the first phase.
- Centurion University will be set up in Vizaingaram district and
- SRM university and VIT will come up at Amaravati. The exact location will be decided after finalization capital’s master plan.
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) will establish a centre of excellence for entrepreneurship at Amaravati. The CII has sought 100 acres for the venture.
- The Bhimavaram-based Uddaraju Ananda Raju (UAR) Foundation of Ananda group of companies has proposed to start AP Fisheries and Ocean University in West Godavari district. The university proposed under public-private partnership model, will be constructed in about 150 acres.
- TERI, a New Delhi-based organisation which conducts research in the fields of energy , environment and sustainable development, has agreed to support for establishment of an energy university at Anantapur.
- Yalamanchili Infra’s YVR University will be set up in Krishna district. It has sought about 20 acres.
- The Isha Foundation has al ready expressed its interest to set up a leadership university apart from yoga and law academies. It will also set up a centre of excellence in Krishna district.
- The state government has already cleared proposals to set up a logistic university near Kakinada, and energy university near Anantapur.
- The government has also received proposals to set up hospitality and sports academies near Amaravati
- Medical university sponsored by King George Hospital of the UK near Amaravati, Saveetha dental university near Amaravati and Institute of financial management research.
- Indian Institute of Management (Ahmedabad) will set up its campus.