It is almost certain now. The 30,000 acres CRDA Andhra capital is going to be renamed as “Amaravati”. Government seemed to have weighed some factors in zeroing in on this naming proposal. Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu has been invoking the Telugu pride during his public speeches and it could be that prompted Government consider Amaravathi, as it was once the capital of Satavahanas.
Meanwhile, it is learnt that Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu wanted to announce the name of the new capital on the auspicious occasion of Ugadi, but held it back. According to a senior minister, who did not wish to be identified, the Chief Minister before flying to attend Ugadi function at Tullur indicated to Cabinet colleagues that he would be announcing the name there. However, he was unimpressed with the arrangements at the function and changed his mind.
Andhra Nation has informed its readers almost 9 months back, on 2nd July 2014, even before the state government declared its choice of capital that Seemandhra capital will be at Amaravati. You can read our earlier report – Amaravati – Seemandhra Capital ??
History of Amaravati
The recorded history of Amaravati and nearby Dharanikota dates to 2nd century BCE.
- It was the capital of Satavahanas who ruled from 2nd century BCE to 3rd century CE.
- After the decline of Satavahanas, Andhra Ikshvakus and later Pallava kings ruled Krishna river valley.
- Subsequently, Eastern Chalukyas and Telugu Cholas held sway over the region.
- Kota Kings were in control of Amaravati during the medieval times. Kota kings were subdued by Kakatiyas in 11th century CE and Amaravati became part of the unified Telugu empire.
- The Skanda Purana gives a picture of the place and the Siva temple located here.
- Amaravati was part of Delhi Sultanate, Musunuri Nayaks, Bahmani Sultanate, Vijayanaga Empire, Sultanate of Golconda andMughal Empire successively before founding Nizam of Hyderabad in 1724.
- It was ceded to France in 1750 but was captured by England in 1759 and was ceded to England.
- Guntur returned to Nizam in 1768 but was ceded to England again in 1788.
- It was briefly occupied by Hyder Ali.
- It was part of Madras Presidency during colonial period.